The Stirling Street Arts Centre building was originally built in 1917 for the Bunbury Infant School. This was for Grades 1, 2 and 3. It became necessary to build a separate Infant School because the School in Arthur Street became too big and they needed more room.
The Infant School was run completely separate from the School in Arthur Street, but was joined by a footbridge which ran between the two schools over what was then James Street (now Blair Street).
The Infant School stayed on the same site until 1967, when they moved to the new Primary School in Lovegrove Avenue where they were combined with the Years 4,5,6 & 7.
It was then acquired by the Bunbury City Council to become a place for Arts and Crafts. Weavers and Spinners were the first Groups to use the Centre. The Education Dept. hired the building for use by the Bunbury Technical School. The new Technical School on Robertson Drive was built in 1970 and all classes except Arts &Crafts were moved there in 1971. The Pottery Room was built by TAFE students.
More Groups joined the Weavers and Spinners at the Centre and from that the Stirling Street Arts Centre has evolved to become such an important part of the Community as it is today.